Monday, January 5, 2015

The Rosie Effect by Graeme Simsion

In The Rosie Effect, Don Tillman has been married to Rosie for ten months and ten days. His life has definitely changed since Rosie came into his life. Now, both of their lives are about to become more complicated as more changes are on the horizon. In order to deal with this, Don seeks advice from his friends and the internet. At first, it all seems helpful, but eventually it gets him into trouble. Not only can he be prosecuted and deported, but he may end up losing Rosie as well.

I really enjoyed this book, a follow up to The Rosie Project. I loved reading more about Don and his life, especially now that he's had to adapt to his new relationships and surroundings. There's some new people in his life: George the landlord/rocker, whom I really liked; and Lydia, the therapist, whom I didn't. Gene and Claudia are essentially the same as they were in the first book.

While I did enjoy this book, I didn't find it as good as the first one, The Rosie Project. The whole Gregory Peck impersonation thing was lost on me. I was really confused by some of Rosie's actions. I can understand how newcomers wouldn't be used to Don's ways, but Rosie should understand him by now.

There was one passage in the book that I really liked.
People cannot forget things on command. Being instructed to forget something is analogous to being instructed not to think of a pink elephant...(page 269)
I also read and enjoyed The Rosie Project, also by this author. If these books are new to you, I'd recommend starting with the first one.

Recommended. Even though I didn't love this book was much as the previous one, I'd definitely read another book by this author.

For more information about this book, please visit the HarperCollins Canada website.

I purchased this book because I loved the first Rosie book so much.

The Rosie Effect by Graeme Simsion, HarperCollins, ©2014. ISBN 9781443435901(Trade paperback),411p.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comment. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I've been getting lots of spam comments, so I'm turning on word verification to help keep spammers away. I know it's a pain; I don't like it either. Hopefully, in time I'll be able to turn it off again. Thank you!