Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Needlework Tuesday - More Knitting

Needlework Tuesday is an occasional post detailing my needlework and/or crafting projects.

These past two weeks have been busy as far as knitting goes. I'm really glad I have a number of projects lined up to do in front of the TV. It really helps with the stress I've been feeling over our water situation, which still isn't resolved because of all of the rain we've gotten in southern Manitoba.

As far as projects go, I finished all four of the Christmas placemats from the 1st project I received from the Mary Maxim's Knit Club of the Month. I'm quite pleased with how they turned out. I haven't blocked them yet, but I still have a few months to do that. I only made two of the coasters because I wasn't sure I'd use them at all. Here's a photo of the finished placemat:


I also finished the matching hat for the scarf/hat set I was making for my husband. Here he is modeling the finished set:

 
If the weather we had today is any indication, he might need them really soon.  As if the temperatures weren't low enough, there's a strong north wind that dropped the "feels like" values into single digits.  It feels like late October, not early September.  Brrrr...it supposed to be like this all week.  At least, it's not the snow that fell in Alberta.  Anyway, you can see a front view of the scarf here. After knitting the scarf for what seemed f-o-r-e-v-e-r, the hat knitted up in no time. I was done before I got bored with it.

While I was waiting for my next project to show up in the mail, I started a bath mat to use up some Bernat Handicrafter Cotton yarn I purchased many moons ago. I made a large number of kitchen dishcloths in the past and didn't need anymore, so I thrilled to find a free pattern online for a 20"x"28" bathmat. I didn't have as many colours as I needed to follow the pattern exactly, so I made it up as I went, changing yarns when I felt like it.  It was supposed to be all garter stitch, but I decided to add some seed stitch for texture. Unfortunately, the seed stitch section worked out slightly wider than the garter stitch section so it doesn't quite lay right, but I'm going to live with it.  I'll might try blocking it.  Here's a section of it:


I'll probably finish it within the next couple of days and post a full photo next week.

I mentioned above that I was waiting for the next project in the Mary Maxim's Knit Club of the Month. Well, that showed up yesterday!!! This month's project is a carry all bag. Here's a photo of the project kit:


I just love the colour.  I haven't knit anything in rounds before, so I'm really excited to try that.  I'll be starting that as soon as I get the bathmat off the needles. Yay!

That's it for this week.

Needlework Tuesday is hosted by Heather over at Books and Quilts. If you've done any crafting this week, let me know in the comments.   If Heather posts a linky this week, I hope you'll consider linking up so other can enjoy your creations.

1 comment:

  1. Good timing on the hat and scarf, well in Calgary it would be in use. It looks great on your hubby.
    I have plans for a bath mat and seeing yours encourages me. Cotton blocks amazingly, wet it, pat it into shape and lit it dry.
    I am attending the knitting show in Kitchener, Ontario on Saturday and there will be a Mary Maxim booth. they are going to bring some of their Scrub It yarn which I am looking forward to trying.

    Thanks for linking up with Needlework Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I've been getting lots of spam comments, so I'm turning on word verification to help keep spammers away. I know it's a pain; I don't like it either. Hopefully, in time I'll be able to turn it off again. Thank you!