Thursday, December 5, 2013

Tangled Thursday - Monotangles

Tangled Thursday is a new occasional post on this blog. Heather at Books and Quilts is hosting these challenges in which we share our latest Zentangle inspired creations.

I'm sorry for posting this so late. I had my tiles mostly completed on the weekend, however, the week got away from me. What a stressful, crappy week!!

Besides accompanying my husband to the hospital yesterday for a medical test and having to drive Mr. Dopey home in near blizzard conditions (Did I mention that I hate to drive?, Did I mention that I've never driven in snow before?, Not even in pleasant snow conditions?, Did I mention I hate winter?), I spent part of yesterday shovelling off the decks and sidewalks, then again this morning because of the additional snow and the blustery winds overnight. Thankfully, Mr. Not-So-Dopey-Anymore was able to jump on the tractor/snowblower and do the rest of the yard. I'm not sure how much snow we got, but the forecast was around 25cm (9in). I'm sure we got something close to that.

Anyway, now that the near blizzard is over, we have these frickin' cold temperatures to contend with. This 'feels like' -30C (-22F) will be around for at least a week. Brrr...

Now onto the Zentangles:

This week I suggested we tackle Monotangles.

The first one I drew using Exis. Because of its numerous variations, it's one of my favourites. Because I'm self taught, I'm not sure what to do when two different patterns/variation meet at the string. I think the string is supposed to "disappear", but it just looks like the patterns come to an abrupt stop and doesn't always look great. On this one, I added some shading, but I'm not sure it works.



I knew that I wanted to do a tile entirely in Tipple. I drew a "string", but changed it numerous times while I was drawing because I got bored of filling in the large spaces. It's not at all how I envisioned it, but it'll do.



The next one is an old standby, Auraknot. I know I've done a few of these since we started these challenges, but it's one of my favourites. I did this one using a shape I hadn't done before. I was hoping to do a little more with this one, but I didn't get back to it during the week.
 
 

I've noticed that my creations are pretty sloppy compared to other ones I've seen.  I try to take my time, but maybe I'm still doing it too fast.   Like other projects, once I start I'm anxious to finish and get onto the next thing.  Hmmm...this week I'm going to slow down and be more "zen".  Well, at least try to be, anyway.   

Be sure to check out the other Monotangle creations on Books and Quilts.   If you'd like to join us, please do so by linking your post to the Mr. Linky on Heather's post.  

2 comments:

  1. First off - there is nothing sloppy about your work. I think it looks awesome! The first one floored me. The variations are SO diverse that I couldn't believe it was all one design. I had to look for awhile before I got the basic design. Very cool!

    I have never tried Auroknot - at least not in the variation you showed here. It's very cool. Adding it to my list for future projects.

    The drive home from the hospital sounds awful. I hate driving in snow!! We are having the cold weather here too - although not as cold as yours - but no snow. Makes me want to stay in and sew and read all day. Darn job! :) Hope your week improves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are wonderful Marie. As Tami said, nothing sloppy. I haven't tried Exis and would have thought that was several different tangles, but now I am going to have to give it a try. I tried Auroknot for the first time the other day and rather enjoyed it. Lots of potential there for different shapes.

    I can't believe you haven't driven snow often. Doesn't sound very possible in Canada. I have even made my kids drive in the snow when I'm in the car so they won't be shocked when they are forced to.

    Thanks for linking up for Tangled Thursday.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I've been getting lots of spam comments, so I'm turning on word verification to help keep spammers away. I know it's a pain; I don't like it either. Hopefully, in time I'll be able to turn it off again. Thank you!