Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Needlework Tuesday - Look at Me! I'm knitting.

It feels like ages since I picked up some knitting needles and knit something. Oh sure, I'm still doing my sky scarf, but at 4 minutes a day (two rows) it hardly feels like it. Progress is soooooooooooooo slow. I'm a bit behind, too, so I'm really not knitting every day.

Anyway, since those ruffled scarves are the "in thing" to knit these days, I figured I'd give it a try. I love scarves, but don't wear them too often. I'm hoping to change that. I bought yarn from a few different manufacturers to try a few different styles. I may keep them for myself (most likely) or I may give one or two away (depending on how they turn out). So far I've made two. They knit up fairly quickly.

The first one is made from Red Heart Ribbons and was fun to make. The yarn is a bit slippery, but other than that it's structured and quite stable, so it's easy to knit with. I love this scarf! I hope to make a couple more like this. The photo below shows a close-up of the scarf doubled up.
























The second one is from Red Heart Boutique Sashay. This yarn is more challenging to work with. It's a bit flimsy as well as being slippery. The stitches came off the needles more than once. I had a hard time starting this one and resorted to YouTube for some visual instructions. After about 6 tries and rip-outs, I finally got it and was able to get more than a few rows done. Since I have more of this yarn, I will be making another scarf, but I'm going to try a shorter/wider one next. The photo below shows a close-up of the the scarf doubled up.
 























Finally, a shot of the two of them together. Ribbons on the right, Sashay on the left.  























That's it!  It feels good to be making stuff again.  I've missed it.  I recently moved my craft room from a second floor bedroom to the basement, where there's a lot more room.  I thought it was going to be a good idea, but now I'm having second thoughts.   Maybe it's because everything is still packed in boxes and the thought of organizing it is daunting.  That's going to be a winter project. 

Wish me luck!

Needlework Tuesday is hosted by Heather over at Books and Quilts.

3 comments:

  1. I haven't done any knitting or crocheting in the past few months, but I think you inspired me to pull something out tonight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! Have fun with it. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. These are awesome!! I soooo want to knit, but i'm just not very good. Practice...practice...practice....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I've been getting lots of spam comments, so I'm turning on word verification to help keep spammers away. I know it's a pain; I don't like it either. Hopefully, in time I'll be able to turn it off again. Thank you!