Friday, August 3, 2012

So Pretty It Hurts by Kate White

In So Pretty It Hurts, Bailey Weggins, true-crime journalist, gets an invitation for a fun, relaxing weekend getaway from her friend, Jessie. Bailey's boyfriend, Beau, is away doing his own thing, so she accepts. They are to spend the weekend at a music mogul's country house with a number of other guests, including glamorous, ultra-thin, and extremely moody, supermodel Devon Barr. When the group is stranded by a winter snow storm and Devon is found dead, Bailey suspects foul play and starts nosing around. That, however, puts her in the crosshairs of danger and she must use all of her skills to get out of this one.

    I really enjoyed reading this book. This is the sixth book in the Bailey Weggins series, but the first one that I've read. The story was suspenseful and entertaining. I especially liked the opening; it was superb. White really knows how to draw the reader in with her storytelling.

The book contained a wonderful cast of eclectic characters. Because some of them were from the entertainment industry and it's fringes, they could be as quirky as the author wanted them to be while still coming across as real. Bailey was especially good. She is sharp witted, sarcastic and is a little cranky (like me some days). I can relate.

The back of the book says "Bailey is a heroine who keeps us laughing..." I disagree somewhat. I found the book very entertaining, but I don't remember laughing all that much. Maybe I was cranky that day. ;)

One thing I found more than a little annoying was Bailey's obsession with Dylan apparent eating disorder. It got to be a little much and by page 100, I'd had enough. I know that was part of the story and it is a serious health issue for some women, however, in my opinion it was a little overdone and not my favourite part.

I generally don't like book with portraits on them and this one is no exception. I'd rather conger up my own idea of what the characters look like. I do, however, like the snow flakes and the bluish tones on this one.

New Words:
obsequious (page 59): submissive
prurient (page 196): unwholesome sexual interest

Favourite quotes:
...when a man drags his heels, it's generally a sign that he's not fully committed to the plan at hand. (page 136)
I've also read Hush (my review). I think I liked it a wee bit better than this one. However, that won't stop me from reading more from this series.

Highly recommended.

For more information about this book or to browse inside, please visit the HarperCollins website.

I'd like to thank those nice people at HarperCollins for this review copy.

So Pretty It Hurts by Kate White, HarperCollins, ©2012. ISBN 9780061576607(Uncorrected Proof), 318p.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comment. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I've been getting lots of spam comments, so I'm turning on word verification to help keep spammers away. I know it's a pain; I don't like it either. Hopefully, in time I'll be able to turn it off again. Thank you!