Saturday, March 19, 2011

Weekend Cooking - Potato Pancakes

Weekend Cooking is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, fabulous quotations, photographs.

For more information, see the Welcome post on Beth Fish Reads.

I love potato pancakes. This recipe uses leftover mashed potatoes instead of shredded potatoes (as in latkes). I adapted it from "Potato Bacon Scones" in "Simply Scones" by Leslie Weiner and Barbara Albright. My version contains more good fat (olive oil) and less bad fat (bacon and bacon drippings) than the original recipe. It's just as yummy!

Potato Pancakes

1 cup leftover mashed potatoes
1/4-1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 large egg, beaten
1/4 cup flour
2 tbsps olive oil
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper

Mix the all of the above together. Preheat skillet. Add 1 tbsp oil olive to the pan. Using 1/3 cup measuring cup, drop mixture onto hot skillet, flattening the pancake slightly with a spatula. Cook 4-5 minutes on each side over medium/medium-high heat until pancakes are golden brown. Serve warm.

Yield: 4 pancakes

Another variation: For Sweet Potatoes Pancakes, use mashed sweet potatoes in place of the regular mashed potatoes; omit the cheddar; add a dash of nutmeg; all other ingredients the same. We like these even better than the cheese ones.

To make the original recipe: Omit cheddar cheese and olive oil. Cook 5 strips of bacon. Reserve drippings. Chop cooked bacon. Mix bacon and 2 tbsps of drippings in with other ingredients. Use 1 tbsp drippings for cooking pancakes, adding more if needed. Use 1/4 cup measuring cup for making pancakes. Makes 7.

Enjoy!

For other food-related posts this week, click here.

12 comments:

  1. Sounds great!! I hope I can make this since cups aren't used in the Netherlands much, I have to see how much I actually have to use, haha.

    I guess I will figure it out, because this would be great in a bento. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like all three versions. But so glad you figured out a tasty version that is both vegetarian and healthier. I have a couple of sweet potatoes here, so maybe I'll try that version this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, the sweet potato version sounds very tasty... thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uniflame: You know, I'm supposed to be using metric measurements, too...Canada's official system. However, I just can't get used to it for cooking/baking.

    I believe that 1 cup = 250mm (approximately).

    Beth: The natural sugars in sweet potatoes allow them to brown beautifully. I hope you like them.

    Thanks for stopping by. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yum! I love potato pancakes and have quite a few recipes that differ just a bit, one from another. Just the other day I was thinking of doing a potato pancake series on my blog where I try each one and compare. I'll definitely make yours, and if I ever do this, I'll add it to my list! Thanks so much. PS I made and posted the recipe for Boxty the other day, an Irish version and it uses both mashed and grated. It was very good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bought some cup measures, especially so I could make the US/A recipes that I see on people's blogs, Uniflame, at Dille & Kamille.

    The recipe looks easy and nice, Daisy. I bookmarked your post. Hope to be able to make this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for stopping by Chinoiseries!

    Nan: A potato pancake series sounds great! I'll definitely check out the Boxty recipe. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great Judith! I hope you enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds great; I may well experiment over the Easter weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Potatoes are a life-long love of mine and I do love potato pancakes. However, I love you variations, especially with sweet potatoes. These will be on my menu this week for sure. Thanks, Daisy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What is this 'leftover mashed potatoes' that you speak of? such a rarity here. Will have to give this a try, though I will set aside my cup of potatoes before serving the rest to the family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I made the sweet potato pancakes today. Used cumin instead for spice. Very tasty. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I've been getting lots of spam comments, so I'm turning on word verification to help keep spammers away. I know it's a pain; I don't like it either. Hopefully, in time I'll be able to turn it off again. Thank you!