Friday, February 25, 2011

Weekend Cooking - Banana Muffins

Weekend Cooking is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, fabulous quotations, photographs.

For more information, see the Welcome post on Beth Fish Reads.

For other food-related posts this week, click here.

I've been making these muffins on and off for over 20 years and I'm still not tired of them. It's my standard recipe when I want muffins.
















Banana Muffins
3 bananas - very ripe
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup margarine - softened
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup water (1/4 - 1/2 cup)
1/2 cup walnuts

Topping:
1 tbsp white sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Prepare muffin tin.

Mash bananas. Add sugar, margarine, egg and vanilla. Beat well.

Combine flour, baking powder and baking soda. Add the banana mixture to dry ingredients and mix lightly.

Add enough water to make mixture moist. Fold in nuts. Fill muffin tins 2/3 full for small muffins (makes 12) or full for larger muffins (makes 9).

Mix white sugar and cinnamon together. Sprinkle on top of muffins.

Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick stuck into the centre of a muffin comes out clean.

Variation: For a slightly different taste, add 1/3 cup unsweetened coconut (the baking kind) to the dry ingredients. Yum!

Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. My husband loves banana muffins and I love that you have a standard recipe that you've been making for years. I'll gives yours a try next time I get a banana muffin request.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's probably just me, but I've never considered having bananas in my muffin. But that's a great idea! We have times that our bananas are eaten as fast as they are bought, and others when they get browner and browner with no one in sight to eat them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love banana muffins. I always save the ripe bananas in the freezer. Adding walnuts is always tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Banana muffins are a favorite in this household, the combination of fruit + nuts is always a good combination :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I've been getting lots of spam comments, so I'm turning on word verification to help keep spammers away. I know it's a pain; I don't like it either. Hopefully, in time I'll be able to turn it off again. Thank you!