Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Needlework Tuesday - Socks, Shrug, Wrap

It's time for another instalment of "Needlework Tuesday", which I first saw over at Heather's blog, Books and Quilts.

Last week, I mentioned that I was going to be making socks next. Since I haven't made socks before, I'm going to start with yoga socks, which have no toes or heels (easier to grip the mat to hold those poses). I've chosen my yarn (colour: Demin Jacquard) and have everything ready. Here's the photo:
















I've also done a bit of work on the shrug from Lion Brand . It's the one that is basically sleeves that are joined at the upper back around the shoulders. (I think you have to join the website to see the pattern). It's knitting up really quickly; I've done about 1.5 feet of it since the last time I posted. I haven't picked it up lately, but if I try hard I should have it done in a few days. I'll post a photo when it's done.

When I picked up the needles and yarn for the socks, I realized how different it was from the stuff I was using for the shrug. For the shrug: 10mm needles, bulky yarn. For the socks: 3.25mm needles, super fine yarn. I think I might have trouble going from one project to another, so I might have to finish the shrug before starting the socks. I'll have to see. Here's a photo demonstrating the differences:






















(needle/yarn for shrug on left; needle/yarn for socks on right)

The last thing I've been working on is a quilted wrap (to wrap around your shoulders) with some fabric that Heather from Books and Quilts sent me over a year ago. I finally decided what I was going to make. Since I had an abundance of plain muslin around, I figured I'd use it up. Right now the size is 74"x25". Here's a little teaser photo:
















I realize now that it needs some pizzazz and could probably use a border or something. I'm going to search through my fabric stash and see what I can come up with. I'll post a larger photo after I've pressed it and made a decision on where to go from here.

Anyway, that's it for this week.

Update: I forgot to mention that Heather is also going to be making socks. Head over to her blog to see her yarn selection. It's so nice! Don't forget to check out all of the other wonderful things she's doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comment. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I've been getting lots of spam comments, so I'm turning on word verification to help keep spammers away. I know it's a pain; I don't like it either. Hopefully, in time I'll be able to turn it off again. Thank you!