Sunday, September 21, 2008

Fuzzy Navel by J.A. Konrath

In Fuzzy Navel, Police Lieutenant Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels is at the scene of a homicide, when shots ring out. Things are about to get really interesting as the cops become targets for a group of unknown gunmen. As the smoke clears on that scene, the day has really just begun for Jack as trouble from her past and present follow her home. She'll be lucky if her and her loved ones make it out alive.

Awesome book with a great story! I thought from the cutesy title, I'd get a cutesy mystery. I was wrong. It's an amazing dynamic, high action, fast-paced, gore filled, humorous thriller in which everyone has more lives than a cat. It's hard to believe all of it takes place in such a short amount of time. Nine hours, in fact. I just didn't want to put it down, but I also didn't want it to end.

I loved that each chapter was written from the viewpoint of one of the characters. Many of them in the first person. Because of this I got lost once or twice because I missed the chapter heading that stated who was talking. Other than that, it was very easy to follow and a quick read.

Konath's characters were a little over the top at times, but that made the story more entertaining. I liked all of the characters, but I really loved Jack as well as her friend Harry. I don't know why but I kept picturing him as Jerry Orbach. Weird, eh?

I had trouble getting into my next couple of books because they were not as dynamic as this one. I kept kicking myself because I read it so fast rather than savouring it. Oh well, it's a good thing there are more books in the series. I'll be keeping my eye out for those on the backlist as well as any subsequent books.

Highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comment. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I've been getting lots of spam comments, so I'm turning on word verification to help keep spammers away. I know it's a pain; I don't like it either. Hopefully, in time I'll be able to turn it off again. Thank you!