Monday, May 5, 2008

My Liar by Rachel Cline

My Liar is about the unusual and troubled friendship between of two women, Laura and Annabeth, in Los Angeles. Laura is a director, trying to get her movie, Trouble Doll, made. Annabeth is an editor who desperately wants to work on Laura’s film.

While the book was mildly entertaining and easy to read, my favourite part of the whole book were the sections detailing Annabeth’s editing job. It offered a great behind the scenes look at an aspect of the movie-making business that we don’t often get to see. The beginning of the book, about David, was so promising. It drew me in and I thought I was going to love this book.

However, that was not the case. I just didn’t care about the characters. I felt sorry Annabeth because of the way Laura treated her and her troubled upbringing, but Annabeth should have just stepped away from the relationship and sought better friends. I thought Laura’s final act of “betrayal” was beyond belief.

Cline uses a lot of references to real life movies and people in the business, including actors. I think devoted moviegoers would probably appreciate this, but most of the references were lost on me.

Rachel Cline fans, avid movie fans and those looking for an out of the ordinary L.A. based story may enjoy this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comment. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I've been getting lots of spam comments, so I'm turning on word verification to help keep spammers away. I know it's a pain; I don't like it either. Hopefully, in time I'll be able to turn it off again. Thank you!