Tuesday, January 29, 2008

The Greatness Guide: Book 2 by Robin Sharma

In The Greatness Guide: Book 2 – 101 More Insights to Get You To World Class, Robin Sharma presents a series of short chapters outlining the ideas to consider on the road to “greatness”. It’s not just a book of wishy-washy theoretical notions, but real ideas and steps that could change your life.

I loved this book; it gave me goose bumps more than a couple of times. The blurb at the back of the book said it would “excite, energize and elevate” me. It did more than that. It also inspired, captivated and entertained me.

There are plenty of unique concepts in this book that were new to me. He gives real life examples, presents inspirational quotes, and serves it up in an easy going, but compelling manner. A couple of times I had to re-read a chapter to understand the message, but since the chapters are extremely short (many of them one page) that wasn’t a problem.

While some of Robin’s advice isn’t exactly new, his presentation makes the ideas fresh and innovative. That’s an awesome thing to be able to do. From personal experience, I can tell you that some of these ideas work like a charm. ;)

There are so many great lines in this book. I couldn’t possibly list them all. One of my favourite quotes from German philosopher Arthur Schopenhauer: “Talent hits a target no one else can hit; genius hits a target no one else can see.” (page 160).

I’m going to save this book and reread it. Only this time I’m going to take my time, perhaps reading only one or two points a day. That way I can reflect on the “lesson” and maybe implement it into my own life.

I haven’t read anything else by Sharma, but now I’m definitely going to pick up The Greatness Guide and The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari.

Highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comment. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I've been getting lots of spam comments, so I'm turning on word verification to help keep spammers away. I know it's a pain; I don't like it either. Hopefully, in time I'll be able to turn it off again. Thank you!