Friday, August 3, 2007

October by Richard B. Wright

In October, James is in London visiting his seriously ill daughter when he runs into an old friend, Gabriel, whom he hasn’t seen in sixty years. The story jumps back and forth between past and present. In the past, Gabriel and James are teenagers interested in the same girl. In the present, Gabriel is dying and wants James to keep him company during this difficult period. James has to deal with his feelings for his old friend as well as his dying daughter and the rest of his family.

Wright has presented a wonderful story with vivid characters. I read this book in a just a couple of sittings, which is quite unusual for me. I was totally hooked from the first page to the very last. His writing is very easy to read and his storytelling is superb. At various times though the book, I felt as though I was reading a true story. Everything was so believable.

I haven’t read anything else by Wright, but I happen to have Clara Callan on my bookshelf. I’m looking forward to reading it soon.

My husband got this book from HarperCollins First Look program. He said it was good, so I decided to give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comment. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I've been getting lots of spam comments, so I'm turning on word verification to help keep spammers away. I know it's a pain; I don't like it either. Hopefully, in time I'll be able to turn it off again. Thank you!